Thursday, July 2, 2020

Store Samples

Since I work at a local quilt shop, I get the opportunity to make store samples.  As the fabric comes in the store, we cut kits and then put it out on the sales floor.  One kit usually becomes a sample, because seeing the quilt, people want to make it.

Today I am sharing two store samples made in February.  The fabric, from Andover, came in and I chose to make these samples from it.

This one is a mini swoon.  I hadn't made a swoon block before, so I thought this one would be fun for a Valentine's theme.  I quilted it using a pattern called Ribbon curls e2e, at 5 inches high.  Because the quilt is only about 19 inches square, a small quilting pattern looks good.  I enjoy making minis, however, be aware they take as much work as a full size quilt, just in smaller proportions.


I belong to a mini guild (Sew Small Quilt Guild), so I love to be able to make a mini every once in a while for the store. 

Then I made Sea Anemone.  It took until March to finish.  I quilted it with Seafoam from Urban Elementz.  I love how it adds motion to the quilt.  To me, the quilting really makes the quilt sing.  I put Cuddle fabric on the back of this one, since it is my favorite backing for a quilt.


I frequently get asked about using batting with cuddle fabric.  I use it all the time with batting.  The time I tried to make a small quilt without it, the thread lay flat on the quilt.  I've also found that a really light weight polyester is not as warm as a combination of cotton and polyester.  I about freeze without the cotton/poly batting.  I still use it in the summer as well, except on the hottest nights in the middle of the summer.

I have more store samples to share another time.  Until then, Keep on Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments here, but no awards, please.