Thursday, July 16, 2020

Free Motion Inspiration

Do you ever get stuck thinking about what to quilt on the next quilt?  I especially find this to be true, when I am asked to do a custom quilt, and I'm not really wanting to use the computer for it. 

In my job, I teach a long arm quilting guild each month.  Sometimes coming up with another topic and keeping it fresh and interesting can be a challenge.  Last year, I had the idea to have an ongoing class and called it "Free Motion Frenzy".  Each month (except May & December), I shared at least two free motion designs.  The challenge was to make a small sampler, with all the design ideas, to hang on the wall in your quilting space.  Then, when it's time to quilt, you have 20+ designs at your fingertips, ready to inspire you.

This certainly isn't a new idea.  We've had Handi Quilter educators come to teach, and they have shared these samplers.  So, I used one as my example.  I did my framework using the Pro-Stitcher software, and then, I spent the year loading the quilt on the machine each month and doing my 2 or 3 designs.

I chose to do something else, too.  I played with threads.  I used black fabric so it would show the fun thread colors.  So, here it is.


It now hangs on my wall behind my long arm machine.  I now have ideas to help me when it's time to quilt and I'm not using my computer.  Plus, lots of fun with my threads.  Just a note...the spider web design was quilted with glow in the dark thread.  And it really does glow in the dark.  The best glowing is from the spaces that have more than one line of stitching. 

How about you?   How do you find a way to choose designs?

Keep on Sewing and Quilting!

2 comments:

  1. That is a really cool sampler, Tammy. I like the stained-glass-window effect.
    I have a couple of samplers I have made in a class and an online challenge, but yours looks much nicer than mine do. Aside from those, I have books by Leah Day, Patsy Thompson, Amanda Murphy, and a couple more whose names escape me at the moment. A good browse through those usually inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammy, Thanks for your comment on my blog. I had to dash over and see what you are doing --- and really like this. I did a tall skinny bare-branched tree with black background but your window is much more interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments here, but no awards, please.