Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Underground Railroad Sampler - 2 generations

My mom started this quilt many years ago.  It's the pattern from Eleanor Burns, and Mom took a class to learn how to piece each block.  Then she gave them to me to piece into a quilt.   Mom suffered from Parkinson's disease the last 16 years of her life.  So, the blocks were a lot of different sizes.  I was stumped.  I did not know how to finish it.  Mom pestered me to get it done.  I told her I would.  She passed away in 2013.  Since then, the blocks have been on my UFO list several times, but the number never came up.  I thought I might need to make filler blocks, so I bought several 1/3 yard cuts of Kim Diehl fabric.

I started working on the blocks for our PHD (Projects Half Done) in our Sew Small Guild.  I chose to work on 3 blocks per month, during the guild year, with the goal of finishing it up in May.

I actually had to start over on some of the blocks, so I used the Kim Diehl fabric in similar colors to Mom's blocks.  Fortunately, I didn't have to redo the applique blocks!

Here is the top, finally pieced in March or April of this year.



Then, I quilted it and had the binding finished on April 14, 2020.


I think Mom would be proud.

Keep on Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, are you not a fan of doing applique either?
    Good to see a post from you, Tammy. This is a treasure to have a project made by you and your Mom. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments here, but no awards, please.