Tuesday, August 11, 2020

To Do Tuesday - Dyeing Day!

Here we are again to Tuesday.  My goals last week were:

1.  Finish refinishing my daughter's table.
2.  3 customer quilts.  
3.  Prepare for a visitor (clean house)

I finished the table on Friday, and it was delivered on Sunday.  She and her husband were thrilled and wondered if it was the same table that they brought.  They used a really dark stain, and I think it is lovely.
I'm sorry I don't have a before picture, but it was in desperate need of the stain.

Quilt 3 customer quilts.  Yep!  

Prepare for visitor.  Yep!  

My sister, Cherri came to visit this week.  She came on Sunday, and leaves tomorrow evening.  While she is here, we shop, sew, and this week we did fabric dyeing.  

Since today is Sewing Group day, we got together to dye fabric.  My phone is acting up, so I don't have pictures from the day, but I do have pictures of the finished products.

This first picture are fat quarters that Cherri dyed this morning.  Some of my blue fabric bled in the wash, so some blue has been added to the white parts of these first three pictures.
Next is Kim's fabrics on the right, with Melanie on the left top, and the next two were from Pam.  Melanie put stones in the fabric, tied with a rubber band.  Pam folded each piece of fabric and dyed it fully folded.
These are mine from this morning.  It's interesting how the blue background is a little less noticeable in the pictures.
Then, Cherri and I did a few more this afternoon, to use up the last of the dye.  Cherri's are across the bottom, and mine are across the top.  I love how different they all finished up.
In the first batch this morning, I put two color catchers in with the dye.  These are what they looked like after the wash.
The afternoon batch, I washed the pink and orange pieces together.  Then another batch to do the blue, green and purple.  This worked out better.  Lesson learned, I hope.

So, goals for this week?

1.  Make more blossom blocks ( I have 6 of 14 finished).  I need to do at least three.
2.  Three more customer quilts.
3.  Put crystals on small quilt.

Linking up to Home Sewn By Us

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy! How cool that you know how and successfully have dyed fabrics. They are beautiful. I remember way, way, way back in the 70s when tied dyed was first popular, I tried it on a t-shirt. It was a one-of-a-kind thing and so is your fabric. Nice!! Oh, and your daughter's table is beautiful. Good job, Buddy as my two-year-old nephew would say. Thank you for linking up this week. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous table.
    Love the pretty dyed fabrics! Just from my experiences dying wool, I know it is fun to spend time creating with your pots of dye. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had so much fun...Wasn't sure at first but it turned out great! Thanks Tammy for the new experience. Kim

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments here, but no awards, please.