Monday, January 31, 2011

Sewing Room Reorganized

My sewing room was a big mess.  It was frustrating trying to find things.  It was cluttered and I really didn't know everything I had.  

I have the furniture I need, and it is in the best way for now.

 But, the fabric and projects were just out of control.

So, I bought a few boxes, and a set of big drawers...

And I got to work.  My fabric stash now fits in 10 of the boxes, and Works in Progress are in the other 10 or so.  Now my fabric and projects fit on my baker's shelf.

 I have pretty quilts up on the wall.

 My sewing area is neat and tidy, with the drawers all shut.  (I'll be organizing them later).

And my cutting and planning area ready for the next project to begin.

Look... All Cleaned UP!

But, I didn't stop there.  I forgot to take a before picture of the closet.  It was full of boxes and I couldn't shut the doors.  So, the boys helped me by taking all of the boxes and junk out to the living room.

It took me 2 days to sort it all out.  My dearest sweetheart helped me install more shelves in the closet.

We started with 2, then added one more.  There are still a few boxes, but I know what is in them now and they are easily accessible, not under 3 other boxes.

And I can get the doors shut!  :)

Now, the challenge is to keep it clean.  Also, to use up all the scraps I have.  

Happy Sewing!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Working on Quilt Guild Mystery

Our Quilt Guild Mystery is this far along.

I am using the "Summer's End" line from Kansas Troubles.  I really like the colors in this.

I also made a doll quilt for my neighbor's little girl.  She has the cutest crib for her doll, and I thought it needed a quilt.  I had the squares already cut, and just had to sew them together.  I had exactly the right number of purple squares.  Not a single one left over.  She seemed to like it when I gave it to her.

It is nice to work on something that isn't required of me, just something I want to do.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Have You Ever Thought About...

how much thread you use?  I hadn't considered it too much.  But, about a year ago, our Webelos Scout group needed spools to make block and tackle with.  I just happened to have enough empty spools.  I thought I might be with Webelos a while longer, so I started saving them in these fun quart jars.  

Now, a year later, I am not working with the Webelos anymore.  My jars are full, and it is time to empty them.  I will pass on a few to the scout leader I was working with, but decided to take a picture.  I think there are 33 empty spools there.  I have about 5 more just about ready to join them.

Wow!  What a lot of thread.  That just means I am doing a lot of creative work and that is what makes me happy.   I will keep sewing --  I hope you do, too!

Friday, January 28, 2011

A fun party

I got together with some friends recently and we exchanged our Christmas gifts -- later when we could enjoy each other's company. We had a nice brunch, and these are then lovely presents I received.

There are two kitchen towels, a spatula, wooden spoon, lotion, hot chocolate mix and Valentine fat quarters from Pam.  The cute pin cushion was made by Lynn.  The biscotti (I ate one before the picture) is from Kristi, and her daughter made the mug rug.

December 2009, I won 11 tree blocks in the Block Jack at quilt guild and knew immediately what I wanted to do with them.  It took me until September to piece them, I had them quilted 3 days before the party, and only 1 had the binding finished.  I finished the 2nd one during the gathering, then the 3rd that afternoon.  Just this week I finished the last one...for me.  If you are doing your math, I had to make an extra block to get these 4 runners done.  But, no worries, it worked up quick!

 So, I now have a lovely runner for winter time.  I love how it turned out.

Keep on sewing!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

This Project Gave Me Fits...

Not that I can't sew together layer cakes.  Not because the leaves are appliqued.  Not even because of the rick-rack.

Because...I have not done the prairie points for about 20 years.  That was before I learned how to quilt  --- and tied most of my creations.  

So, here is what I learned along the way.

  • When you plan on using prairie points, quilt only to within 1/2 inch of the edge.  Normally we look to quilt to 1/4 inch of the edge.
  • Sew the folded triangles only to the top layer of the quilt.
  • Trim the batting to the edge of the quilt.  Normally I leave it 1/4 inch beyond the edge in order to fill the binding.  Not here.
  • The back fabric is trimmed larger than the batting.
  • The back fabric is folded over, and the front edge is folded back.  Then sew these edges together.  I like to use the ladder stitch.  This closes the quilt and helps the triangle points to stand up.

The pattern did not give me these hints.  I picked them up with the good old "school of hard knocks".  I unpicked several times to fix the quilt and do it right. I am truly relieved to be finished!!!

I have several other items I have finished and will be showing them soon.  I have also added a finished list on my sidebar for this year.  I am hoping to add a lot to the list.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Two Years of Blogging...

and I am still here.  I must say I have been a slacker lately.  Working does that to a person.  Hopefully I will post some fun things soon...I've got a lot in the works.  Thanks for hanging in there with me!