Thursday, January 27, 2011

This Project Gave Me Fits...

Not that I can't sew together layer cakes.  Not because the leaves are appliqued.  Not even because of the rick-rack.



Because...I have not done the prairie points for about 20 years.  That was before I learned how to quilt  --- and tied most of my creations.  

So, here is what I learned along the way.

  • When you plan on using prairie points, quilt only to within 1/2 inch of the edge.  Normally we look to quilt to 1/4 inch of the edge.
  • Sew the folded triangles only to the top layer of the quilt.
  • Trim the batting to the edge of the quilt.  Normally I leave it 1/4 inch beyond the edge in order to fill the binding.  Not here.
  • The back fabric is trimmed larger than the batting.
  • The back fabric is folded over, and the front edge is folded back.  Then sew these edges together.  I like to use the ladder stitch.  This closes the quilt and helps the triangle points to stand up.

The pattern did not give me these hints.  I picked them up with the good old "school of hard knocks".  I unpicked several times to fix the quilt and do it right. I am truly relieved to be finished!!!

I have several other items I have finished and will be showing them soon.  I have also added a finished list on my sidebar for this year.  I am hoping to add a lot to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments here, but no awards, please.