Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Century Quilt!

Last year, two friends, Pam & Tina, had milestone birthdays - 60 and 40. They decided to do a 100 year quilt in celebration. I was just dying to be a part of it, so I found Ann & I made 100 also. Then, Lyn & Kristi also made 100. So, we made a quilt to celebrate. Actually, we made 6 quilts. We each made 6 of 2 different blocks. We approved our fabric choices, and shopped for some of the fabric to be the same (the background of the main star and the little star, the borders). We had to hunt high and low for the outer border. Tina translated the instructions to make it easier for all of us. Then we went to work.

We traded our blocks in November, then most of them set them aside for a few months. Tina, our extra-achiever, has hers quilted, bound and hung in a local quilt shop. The rest of us have to have our tops done by April 14th. We will share them at quilt guild. Tina is moving this summer, so we can't procrastinate any more. The quilt finished at about 85 inches square. I just finished putting on the last border today. I am very excited to have this much done.

I will be making a scrappy back with the leftovers of this quilt and another Americana one I did last year. Then, I will quilt it. I hope I can finish it completely by our last guild meeting in May.

I am also working on 2 customer quilts, have made 2 quilt tops for a local shop owner, and I have a challenge to finish by April 14th. I am also going to be teaching a machine quilting class in May and repeat it in June at another local quilt shop. I have lots to do, but I work best when I have lots to do. (grin!)

1 comment:

  1. Your century quilts are such a neat idea.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. I do have machingers but they were in the basement and I was upstairs so I used what I had up there.

    If you put a check mark in front of "show email" in Edit Profile, people could email you back when you leave comments. Right now you are a noreply blogger.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments here, but no awards, please.