Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Organizing my Longarm Quilting

I like to organize things.  Sometimes I struggle to keep it that way, but my joy is in the organizing.

When I am quilting, I wear an apron.  


Each pocket has something important in it.  My scissors and chapstick are in the first pocket. Then, the small clamps for my Red Snappers.  The next pocket holds my seam ripper and tissue.  The last one is for my phone.  By keeping an item in a certain place, I may find it more easily.  Of course, the scissors don't always go back in my pocket, so I'm hunting for them quite frequently.

Next up, this ceramic bowl I made in a class a few years ago.  I pulled it out of a box about 6 months ago, I had completely forgotten about it.


Now it holds my empty bobbins.  It usually sits next to the bobbin winder, so it's easy to grab an empty and wind it up!


I love my Red Snappers!  They make loading a quilt so much quicker.  There's also the added bonus that I don't bleed when I use them like I do pins.  The clamps are a bit unwieldy to store, so I bought an umbrella stand.


It works so well!  Since it doesn't rain here frequently, I don't have many umbrellas to worry about.  

Last is my thread storage.  I use a china hutch for thread, books, pottery, and sewing notions. Each drawer has a color selection, so I know where to look for a thread.  This is my top drawer...

I love using things I have, or things that are originally for something else, and putting it to a good use in my quilting studio.  If you have something you like to do to keep organized, let me know!

Keep on Sewing and Quilting!

1 comment:

  1. Your apron is a great idea. My empty spools are in a small lidded basket woven out of dried orchid stems. My daughter brought it to me from Hawaii. We both love orchids so she thought that would be a fun novelty for me.
    Like you, I like to organize with items that are decorative as well as functional. My rule of organizing is if it is stored in plastic, it needs to hide in the closet or under the table. LOL
    I love using wood, wicker and wire containers whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to read your comments here, but no awards, please.